Amber's Abode

A winning week, mostly

Sunday turned out pretty cool.  Early, I went and found out I had an ear infection.  Okay, that's not cool, but at least now they can do something about the pressure in my ear.  Then I went to see if I would have a seat in the monthly poker final.  Several people did not show up, so I got a chance to play. 

And I won!  The whole thing.  First-place trophy, along with what looks like a pretty sweet boombox, which I needed because my other one got stolen.  They're going to deliver it on Thursday because it was too big for me to carry back here.  I wish I could tell you what my strategy was, but I didn't really have one.  Just play the best poker I know how.  And mostly every hand I entered, I won.  Even when I was trying to lose.  It was so weird.  It was like watching one of those poker games on TV.  If I had seven and two of different suits, the flop would come 7, 2, and Ace.  And it kept going like that until I was the only one left.  Most people were happy for me, but there were some who grumbled a little because I didn't have my own earned seat this time, but I was there and I got seated.  This is my first such win, my other one was during that special Tuesday thing for Las Vegas trip, and I didn't win any prizes.  So I'm very happy. 

After, I went downtown to find some food and ran into a friend.  We hung out for awhile and tried to catch up amidst trying karaoke at a new place for karaoke for us.  But I don't think we will go back there.  Afterwords, I tried to catch the bus back to the Egyptian to be at my friend's going away party for a couple of hours, but the bus never showed up.  Literally.  I was waiting for a little over a half hour.  so I had to run back a few long blocks to catch another bus toward home. 

Feeling really sad and frustrated because the easy things, like making it to the party of a friend, I cannot do very easily.  It's so frustrating. 

My best friend got his chair back, and although it broke down again three hours later, luckily it was a pretty easy fix, and everything seems to be working okay for now. 

Didn't win any poker on Monday, but I didn't think I would.  One will rarely win twice in a row.  On Tuesday, I went with the best friend to get the chair fixed, and afterwords, went to slaughter's for karaoke.  Todd and Pony where there, which was fun, but I don't think I'm going to show up three hours early for karaoke again.  There was this guy who was nice but kept repeating the fact that he was so glad I was there like every 10 seconds.  That got a little annoying. 

And today is America's birthday.  Even with a rather messed up government currently, I'm so glad I live here.  I don't think the helps that I need would be available to me in very many other countries, although maybe I am wrong.  Thank you to all the men and women who died and who serve in all capacities to make this country what it is.  Warts and all, it's my country.  And I can sincerely say God bless America. 

Today is also a little hard for me because it is my dad's birthday and not so long ago, was a huge family holiday for us.  But everything has changed now.  I wonder if it is just because we all grew up.  Probably.  This is the second time I have been stuck in this nursing home for the fourth.  They have fireworks in the parking lot later, but I have decided not to be here.  If no other plans pan out, I will just go play Wednesday poker.  I probably have a shot because attendance will likely be low. 

That's it for now. 

More Posts by Amber